From summer getaways to leisurely time at home, UV sun exposure is inevitable. While we all need sun protection strategies, those diagnosed with lupus must be especially mindful.
UV exposure can trigger an abnormal immune response (flare) that can range from sunburns, skin rashes, and fatigue to painful joints and organ inflammation. Fluorescent lighting can trigger similar symptoms. Additionally, certain drugs taken by lupus patients may increase sun sensitivity and skin cancer risk.
Although summers and vacations tend to center around the outdoors, those with lupus don’t need to hibernate inside. So don’t let lupus prevent you from enjoying those warm weather adventures if you feel well.
Timing is Key
Plan to avoid the most intense UV rays from 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., including cloudy days. Schedule those hours for a museum visit or shopping and lunch with friends. Early mornings and evenings are the ideal time to hike, paddle board, or indulge in an evening swim.
With lupus, you also learn to adapt your day to your fluctuating energy level. Listen to how your body is feeling to help minimize fatigue. Create a summer schedule that is flexible and includes both active and low-key options. This way, you have a plan B when you aren’t feeling your best.
UV Fashion is Essential
Versatile UPF 50+ clothing and accessories are essential when venturing into the sunshine. That said, your fashion choices need not be boring. After all, your desire to look and feel beautiful doesn’t stop when you have a chronic condition like lupus. What could be easier than effortless UPF 50+ clothing?
Luminora offers luxurious wardrobe options using their UPF 50+ proprietary Luminology technology fabrics, making it a great solution to protect those with lupus.
Choose UPF 50+ long-sleeved tops and long pants or long skirts to cover bare skin and help prevent lupus flares. Select quality clothing with timeless style so you can enjoy them for years to come.
A quality and versatile staple from Luminora is The Perfect T – Long Sleeve. It is made with their lightweight and breathable UPF 50+ fabric that is perfect alone or layered for hiking or kayaking. It’s also a great choice for protecting your arms and shoulders. The soft and elegantly-sculpted shirt is offered in many pretty color choices. A short sleeve version, The Perfect T – Short Sleeve, is also available.
Another versatile yet elegant must-have is The Venezia Hoodie, also designed with Luminora’s UPF 50+ fabric. This flexible wardrobe staple can be worn as a chic poolside cover-up, or as a dress with elegant heels for a late afternoon cocktail. The Venezia Hoodie protects your upper body from damaging UV rays and is available in multiple color selections.
Accessories are Essential
Your summery wardrobe isn’t complete without essential accessories and products to complete your look and increase your sun protection. Be sure to have them with you whenever you head outdoors.
- A pretty scarf made with a high UPF fabric is a great style piece that is adaptable for head, neck, or shoulder protection. Luminora offers the Caprera Scarf with UPF 50+ protection that is the ultimate versatile staple in many color choices.
- A wide-brimmed hat with UPF is a must-have and a glamorous sun staple. At a minimum, the hat should have a tight weave that does not allow light through it. Choose a classic style to complement your outfit – think Old Hollywood, Kentucky Derby, or the Riviera for inspiration! A hat with at least a five-inch brim will help shield your hair, face, and neck from UV rays.
- A wraparound pair of sunglasses that blocks 99-100% of UVA and UVB rays is both a glamour statement as well as a sun smart wardrobe essential. The wraparound style prevents UV radiation from entering from the sides.
- According to Lupus.org, a broad-spectrum sunscreen (UVA & UVB) with a minimum 30 SPF rating should be applied at least 30 minutes before exposure to ultraviolet light. Remember to apply sunscreen to any exposed skin, including your scalp, ears, neck, fingers, and tops of feet. A lip balm that contains SPF is a great idea to keep handy to protect the sensitive skin of your lips.
- Scope out the shady areas at your daily locations – look for a tree, umbrella, covered patio, or cabana. Keep in mind that damaging ultraviolet light can reflect off of water, sand, cement, and through glass windows too.
With proper planning and sun smart fashion choices, you can enjoy the beauty of the great outdoors again!
Research Reference Links: